It’s official! For the fourth time as a participant, Portland Webworks/GovWebworks made the list of Best Places to Work in Maine. We are recognized as consistently fostering an outstanding workplace environment in the small employee category (15-49 U.S. employees).
Winners are determined by the Best Companies Group and announced by the Maine State Council of the Society for Human Resources Management. Our company’s workplace policies, practices, and demographics were evaluated for 25 percent of the score, and an employee survey made up the remaining 75 percent. We celebrated with the other winners at an awards banquet in Augusta on October 2.
What our employees say
As a software and web application firm with 30 employees, we develop digital platforms for clients around the country. We’re currently focused on critical challenges facing public sector agencies, such as workforce development, family and child welfare, and benefits delivery.
Some of the reasons why employees enjoy working at PWW/GWW include:
- “The management is kind, supportive, and generally very positive. They also try to be transparent and accountable. They have a business mission, but try to accommodate the needs of employees as well. More than most other companies.”
- “The simple things, clear and open communication from and with leadership about existing and upcoming work and the long-term vision of the organization. Additionally, it’s fun to work here and we do things that bring us together, from summer outings to weekly donuts and happy hours, a fabulous holiday party, and many lunches.”
- “Outstanding skill development opportunity while working in a Maine-based organization serving national clients. Fantastic work-life balance and top-notch benefits.”
- “Dog friendly, people friendly, respectful environment that is striving to be a place of innovation, learning, and business that produces amazing work.”
While we are honored to be on the list, we don’t rest on our laurels. Part of the Best Places to Work in Maine process is figuring out what we can do better. After we were named to the 2019 list, the entire company met to review the results and point out areas where we can improve. These included:
- Enhance on-boarding process: We plan to provide more guidance and supporting materials for new employees during the first few days of employment, and greater oversight during re-teaming.
- Foster more diversity: While we have a fairly diverse staff for Maine in terms of gender and ethnicity, we plan to seek out events and new hires that encourage further inclusion.
- Grow employee development: We encourage employees to submit a business case to their supervisor to attend a conference, training, or certification, and share learnings with the company upon return.
- Develop career advancement/mentoring: We are looking at how best to support mentoring relationships that help employees form a path for improvement and growth.
This good news comes along with some other recent awards:
- Our client, Missouri Department of Transportation, won a Summit Award for their website redesign, which included a Drupal 8 upgrade, consolidation of multiple sites, and rearchitecting of existing systems.
- Another client, Minnesota DEED, won a W3 Silver Award for CareerForce, their one-stop online portal for workforce development.
- GovWebworks was awarded a GSA IT 70 contract that allows qualified federal and state partners to procure from us directly.
We credit our success to the people who work here and make it happen. We especially value the contributions of each employee, and strive to maintain the best possible environment for everyone’s continued success.
- Like us on Facebook and get to know our office culture
- Hat-trick for Best Place to Work Award: Portland Webworks to receive third award for best small business workplace, August 2017
- Visit www.BestPlacestoWorkinME.com or contact Jackie Miller at 877-455-2159 for more info on the Best Places to Work in Maine program
- Contact us with any questions about how our team can lend a hand