We’re feeling the synchronicity at APHSA’s IT Solutions Management (ISM) for Human Services Conference in Milwaukee, Wisconsin this week. We attend every year to discuss how technology can best impact social issues, but this year’s topics have been especially resonant.
First of all, the keynote speech by Brett Culp, “Superhero Leadership: How Everyday People Can Have An Extraordinary Impact,” touched on a concept we find compelling. At last year’s conference we began handing out “Public Sector Hero” stickers to recognize the many people in the public sector who are everyday heroes to us and those they serve.
Culp’s first film, Look to the Sky, finds the superhero in 10 young people who have faced adversity in various ways. The next, Legends of the Knight, focuses on people who share hope and overcome challenges with some inspiration from Batman, with $100,000 raised for charitable organizations.
As well as the keynote, we’re glad to find many of the breakout sessions relate to issues we’ve been facing on client projects. To connect the dots, we paired the following breakout topics with some further reading from our blog.
Come by to let us know what you think at Booth #308. And don’t forget to pick up a Public Sector Hero sticker!
Tuesday 11:15pm – 12:15pm
The Future is Now: Transforming the Workforce with Beth Cohen (102DE).
- Putting Together the Labor Force Puzzle: How Minnesota’s new CareerForce site encourages workforce growth by GWW Staff
Meeting the Challenges of Modernizing Legacy HHS Systems with eSystems (103AB).
- Updating Legacy Systems with Modular Procurement: It’s time for government to renovate the Winchester Mystery House by Ravi Jackson
Tuesday 1:45pm – 2:45pm
It’s Time to Chat About Bots: Using Virtual Assistants to Deliver Real Value for Human Services (102AB)
- Key Steps to a Chatbot Pilot Program: How to support audiences who prefer conversational interfaces for accessing content by Adam Kempler
- Why Smart Content Connectors are the Future of Government Websites: And how to prepare your content by Adam Kempler
Agile: It’s Not Child’s Play, Except When It Is (102DE)
- How to Get the Most Out of Scrum Meetings: Why missing Scrum meetings can mean missing a deadline by Sarah Crossman
The Art of the Possible: How Human-Centered Design is Transforming the Technology Landscape CGI (103AB)
- Beyond Genericized UX: How to avoid McDonaldization of UX, or oversimplification of the design process by Sarah Crossman
Three Tech Tools to Stem the Tide of Opioid Addiction Oracle (203AB)
- Opioids Crisis Solutions Series Part 1: How opioids took America by surprise, and what states can do about it by Ravi Jackson
- Opioids Crisis Solutions Series Part 2: Three opioid treatment models that states are using to save lives by Ravi Jackson
- Opioids Crisis Solutions Series Part 3: How states find funding to stem the crisis by Ravi Jackson